Thursday, April 18, 2013

The story of the beginning

I came across this blogpost at Sew Country Chick, where she talks about what got here started on her sewing career. I liked the idea of letting my readers get to know "my storie", and maybe to get them to tell ME about theres. So here is my story:

Groving up, I had grandmothers and aunts who were all very handy when it came to making clothes. 
But it was mostly knitting, and I think probably thats were it all startet. I remember my dearest grandmother taught me to knit, and my first dresses where for my dolls an such... 
I reallt enjoyed being in the same room as here, and listening to the "klickering" of her knitting needles, and the low voice of her counting the masks: "3, 4, 5, 6...."  and: "shush.... I`m counting.." whenever we interrupted here whit something... haha....

In Junior High, me and my best friend had a project in crafts where we designed our own clothing line. 
Thinking of the results today makes me giggle, but back then we thought we were "superstars". Haha...
We even did a big portfolio whit lots of design drawings, and made some of the clothes. 
It was soooo fun! (i really have to dig those drawings up!...)

Lets fast forward a bit...
Junior High---> High school, where I had 3 years of studying drawing, design, illustrasion and commerscial designs. ---> meeting my husband to be ---- > getting married ----> having our first child; thats when my knitting skills really had a go for it! -----> our second baby! Thats when I discovered Bloglandia.
I startet reading different blogs about crafting, and especially sewing. Mostly from vintage fabrics. I huntet down fleamarkets and second hand shop (still a big passion!) for fabrics. 
But it was about the time when my husbands grandmother had to move out of here big old family house, 
that tons of old fabrics apeard.  In her earlier days she had worked at fabric-factory and were so lucky she got to take home bags and bags of fabric. And I was even luckier that I got to look trough these to see if there was something worth saving. And there was!!!  I boroughed my mother-in-laws old sewing machine, which her mother again owned before her. So it was ooooold, but worked as nothing else! 
I taught my self sewing simply by reading many wonderfull blogs and getting inspiration on the internett.
The first items I made were clothes for my children, which my earlier blog posts are a big proof of! 
I have made some for order, and all though that has been fun, I simply dont have the time. I wish I did!

It is only in the last half year or so I have been making clothes for my self. I must say, that it isquite a different challenge than making stuff for my kids. And I love it. 
Alltough I am no professional, I love reading and learning about new techniques.
It is a learning curve that shifts both ways, and I am only glad I can learn as long as I live.
I have a LOT that I want to learn still! This is only the beginning!

My "likings" of homemade clothes has shifted a bit since it startet about two years ago.
Back then it was all about the retro-70 styles with those psychedelic colors.
Know it is leaning more and more over to the 50-60`s dresses. Have You seen Mad Men??
Then you`ll know what I am talking about!


Who would`nt be wearing something like that?!

So.. thats my story.
I would love to hear about yourse !



















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading you`re comments!