Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sweetheart Beret - A tutorial



Hi everyone!

Today I want to share another how-to with you!
I was browsing through Pinterest, looking for inspiration for something to make.
Then I came across a pattern for a suuuuper cute beret with the cutest bow!
My experience is that there is a tutorial for allmost everything out there, so I wasnt completely ready to buy a pattern before I had looked into my alternatives.
So..... after a lot of picture-looking, blogbrowsing and some sketching, I came up with a great tutorial.
I sewes it up twice, just so I could try out the differences when it comes to wether you`d want layering around the hat or not. If so, you make the top-hat pattern piece big/ger.
Here goes:


First, find youre fabric. It should be semi stiff, and quite stirdy. Wool, fleece and such is great.
I used a typical suit wool.
Now, fold youre fabric double. Find something big and round, like a lid or a casserole. Depending on how big the lid/casserole is, youre beret will be big and poofy or small and suttle. Its all up to you!



Now find something with a smaller radius then the first round thingy you used, and center it untop the one cirkle. REMEMBER to put away one cirkle for later!  Allso be shure that the radius you use for the "donut" is not smaller then the head intended for youre beret! This is where your math skills from elementary school comes in. FIY: if I told my math teacher back then that I would not need it for anything else then sewing and pattern making, well.... I think he would give me extra homework.....


Now you should have these three. The inner cirkle you can just through away.


Next up you pin the "donut" to the top hat piece. Sew down all the way around.


Now, more math... Measure the head circumference and cut a square with just that lenght + seam allowance.
When the piece is laying like this, you fold it on half, iron, and then fold in each end again (just like a bias tape) and iron again.


Like this! Then you fold it over and sew down the short ends.


Now, you almost cant see it on this picture, but here I have placed the "bias tape" on the inside of the hat, and pinned it down. All you have to do now is stich, fold over to the front/right side of the hat, fold and stitch again. 



And voila! You now have a beret for youre little sweetheart! Hey! How about making matching mother and daughter beretes?  





And for the bow, there are hundreds of DIY`s on net!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading you`re comments!