Saturday, October 5, 2013

My own designed Pussy Bow Blouse. And a tutorial!

(Furthest down the post you`ll find pictures of my blouse.)


What is you`re first thought when you think of a pussy bow?
After giving it a litte thought, this is what popped up in my head:



But obviously, thats not what we want in a pussy bow blouse...

I decided pretty acutely that I wanted, no, infact needed a pussy bow blouse. 
I had seen them around for quite som time, but whit just like my new Laurel Dress, it did`nt feel right to me.
But our minds works in mysterious ways, `cause suddenly I was convinced!
So I startet to trace pictures on Pinterest, and the options are allmost countless. I knew I had to find some great inspirational pictures, because I did`nt have any patterns available. 
These pictures from Salme Patterns here and Tilly And The Buttons here are the pictures closest to what I wanted. 
Since I`ve recently made Colette Patterns Laurel Dress, and I was familiar to the arm-pattern there, I used The Laurel patterns as a start for the bodice and arms.


My inspirational board.

Now, in my search for "How to make a pussy bow blouse-tutorial", the results were poor. I mostly used the pictures I have over my sewing machine. It was very forward really, but at the same time I felt like I needed a little assistens. But mostly I was on my own. I sort of figured it out my self, but for the interest of others in the search of a "How to make a pussy bow blouse-tutorial", I decided to take pictures of the process as I went.

A good start is to find a pattern that you know works as a bodice and arms. The only differens really, is that instead of a collor, you make a long tie to attatch to the neck.
I desided to open the bodice right at the front. If you take a look at Salmes Pussy bow blouse, you se what I mean. Allso I took the idea from Tilly, to ruche the bodice in the front. Like she did here.

Now, to my tutorial (a simple one...):



First I cut two pieces for the "tie". I started measuring from the middle of the neck. Measure all the way to the front. Make shure that you measure close along the neck opening. Then you add the length of the tie (as long as you want it. All in all, mine was about 70 cm long (make two) and about 8 cm wide. Remember to make it long enouch to make a bow, if that is what you want! Mine was just to short...)

Then stitch the two pieces together at their ends, so that you have 2 x 70 cm = 140 cm tie. Match the center of the tie to the center of the neckline, and pin it down. The (terrible lined) red in the picture is were I tried to show you where I pinned mine down. Pin the tie right side facing the right side of the blouse.
Then you stitch it down whit you`re machine.
(But dont stitch all the way to the end of the tie, only around the neclkline!)



When you are done whit the stitching, fold the tie over (double it), and tuck it under once more so that the raw edge is hidden. Pin it down neatly. 


Thats right!


Now, turn you`re work and place it under you`re needle. It is time for some "stitchin` in the ditch". But this time, start out at one end of the tie, while you tuck the raw edges inside, (see picture below)  hiding them. Stitch at the outer edge of the tie, following all the way up to where the neckline starts. Here starts the "stitchin`in the ditch". Make shure you sew down the fold on the backside of the blouse as well. 
Follow the neckline all the way around, and to the other end of the tie.


When you`re finnished, press everything whit you`r iron. 

Thats is! 
And now for my end results:








I must admit, I had a little problem whit the neckline there. It sort of falls back.
Have to adjust that the next time...


See the ruches at the bodice?


The split opening at the neckline.

I really like how it turned out! I must say, this thing whit making my own patterns is fun!









2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It looks really sweet and I appreciate the red lines to show where you're focusing on for the picture ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! - you did such a great job and that colour works so well for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading you`re comments!